The Training Mode is a set of five missions available to play in Syphon Filter: Logan's Shadow. Gabe Logan is able to run through each course aided by Teresa Lipan in order to test functionality for recruits. Gabe will act as a recruit to insure the player is introduced to all of the game's basic controls.
TRAINING TWO: Basic Movement
Learn basic Agency movement and controls.
TRAINING MISSION 1:
'Navigation and Movement'
Teresa has asked me to help her set up a new Agency Training Exercise. The goal is to teach the essentials of tactical movement, including climbing, crouching, ladders, shimmying, shimmying around corners and the Agency Rapid Traversal Line (RTL).
She's timing me and wants to know if I can beat the record completion time of 1:35. I told her I'd run through it a couple of times first before trying to break the record. --Gabe Logan
The first training mission will cover basic movements for the player. These actions include running, climbing, crouching, use of the RTL, Nightvision Goggles, Infrared Goggles and Electronic Device Sensing Utility Goggles. The course is lined with bright blue arrows which will direct the player on where to go and prompts to hit the SELECT button will call Teresa to give you information on each obstacle. Gabe is also equipped with the Paintball Gun fashioned after the MARK 23 SD modified to fire paintballs and is used for training purposes.
Follow Teresa's Directions and basics needed later in the game will be explained to the player as they progress. Upon completion, she will notify Gabe of two hidden RTL Lines that can be used to beat the course faster.
If the player is able to beat the mission within record time of 1:35, they will unlock the SP-57. There are two methods to beating the time.
Method 1: Clean Run
This method requires you to follow the course as normal without using the shortcuts. The time frame for this is strict leaving little room for error.
- Immediately climb the first obstacle and turn to climb up the next one.
- Drop from here holding right so you can quickly crouch and go through the hole. Make sure to wait for the camera shift before pressing the crouch button again to stand up.
- Quickly climb the next two obstacles and shimmy along the edge to cross above the fence. Quickly equip your gun and let go of the ledge.
- Once you land skip the scene and aim at the small grey box above the door shooting it. Quickly equip "Bare Hands" to remove the gun.
- Follow the path climbing up obstacles and dropping to the left where you'll crawl into another hole. As with before, wait until the camera shifts up before hitting the crouch button again to stand.
- Access the control panel and type in "989" (the code will always be the same)
- Equip the nightvision goggles and kick open the door, navigating through the doorways in this dark area.
- When the X is reached use the RTL and make it over the fence. Quickly drop down and climb the ladder. Run along the path until the ending has been reached.
With few errors the goal can be reached in about 1:30.
Method 2: RTL Shortcuts
This method allows the player to shave time off their overall run.
- Climb the first two obstacles and head left after the drop. There will be a brown crate to climb as well as another shipping container. When on top, turn and climb up the next shipping container to the left.
- Immediately use the RTL button to hit the line and traverse it until above a set of crates ontop of a shipping container. Make sure to drop on the crate as dropping on the next path will result in a death.
- From here drop to the stairs and follow the path until outside the keypad. Go to the right of the keypad and climb the shipping container here and drop forward to where a set of crates are seen stacked in the middle of an open area. Climb to the top of these crates and use the RTL Line.
- Traverse it until above the walkway and head to the mission completion.
Successful completion under the time limit will reward the player with the SP-57.
- Unequipping the Paintball Gun will enable the player to avoid accidentally reloading it when needing to climb obstacles. It will automatically be pulled out after use of an RTL Line.
- The code will always be 989, so subsequent runs the player is not required to look through the hole in the wall with Nightvision equipped to see it.
TRAINING TWO: Basic Combat
Learn basic Agency combat techniques and controls.
TRAINING THREE: MB 150 Rifle and darts
Learn basic Agency MB 150 rifle and darts.
TRAINING FOUR: Advanced Combat
Learn advanced AGency combat techniques and controls.
TRAINING FIVE: Water Training
Learn basic Agency underwater movement and combat controls